Sunday, December 29, 2013

My sympathy goes to the light posts

I was walking with friends one day at a city within the walls when suddenly, a realization hit me. I kept looking at this erect piece of metal with bulb stationed along the streets to provide light when the sun is absent from the sky. It sure looks stylish, very apt to preserve the archaic vibe of the city but I noticed that it looked lonely. I was plagued by what I saw that when I got home I wrote a little piece:

"The melancholy of a light post: it stands alone. You can't find group of light posts together. There is always distance separating them. You don't even have a name for a group of light posts: for a group of flowers, the arrangement is called a bouquet. But what would you call an arrangement of light posts? They light up the dark but are taken for granted even if they are serving their purpose. If accidents happened, they would be blamed. And they stay in one place. Witness a lot of things happening but can't do anything. Helplessness. Yes, at its height."

Writing this here made me wonder if it's a light post or a mirror I see.

----
D.B.R.S, piece written 7 July 2013, 2:54 a.m (GMT +8)

No comments:

Post a Comment