Saturday, March 24, 2012

My beacon

A mentor and I can say, a friend, one day brought this paper wrapped thing in our class. He sat next to me then and showed me this paper which even at first glance you'll know that there is something inside. I looked at him questioningly but he didn't pay any attention. I looked at what's on my armchair and there was a scribble on that particular wrap, it says "Waiting to be found by someone deserving" (I'm not sure if this was what was written verbatim since it has been a long time and my memory is a bit foggy but I think the thought is the same). When I opened it I saw this book of poems with illustration and some of my favorite poems are in this book. I fell in love at first sight for this book but I wished that it will indeed be found by someone deserving (I am secretly wishing that it will be me). I never saw the book again.

The price for the person who will get the highest rating (rating will be given by the entire class and by my professor) will receive a bottle of Johnny Walker Whiskey Swing.

credits to Google for this image

Come the day of my turn for impromptu speaking (this was one of the requirements for our final exams in Public Speaking) and the topic that I got was "EYES". We had 10 minutes to prepare and 3 minutes to deliver a speech. All the time I was preparing, a particular comment made by a senior (from my organization) for some reason is on repeat in my head and that is "I am not a fast thinker." But I'll just shake my head and say f*** it. I tried my best to put my thoughts in order. When I delivered my piece, I gave up on winning the Whiskey Swing because my classmates' pieces are really good and there are others which haven't delivered their pieces yet.

Come results day, I was not the one who got the highest rating. A classmate of mine beat me to it but getting praises for my speech is enough for me. For people to appreciate what you do, it's worth it.

I was surprised though that my professor announced that the person who got the second highest rating will also receive a price.

This I will forever treasure.
I got this as a prize for getting the second highest rating for our impromptu speech in Public Speaking.
I got it. I guess, I deserved it.
My craft. My first love.

--D.B.R.S 

No comments:

Post a Comment